Cité des Congrès de Lyon
July 10, 2016 – July 13, 2016
Download the programme (10MB PDF)
ESB 2016 in Lyon was jointly organized by the European Society of Biomechanics and the Société de Biomécanique (gathering French speaking countries), for their 40th anniversaries.
To celebrate these anniversaries, 4 international societies have also been involved in the organization of the conference:
- the European Society for Biomaterials for a specific track on "Biomaterials",
- the International Society of Biomechanics for the track "Human movement"
- the International Society of Biomechanics in Sports for the track "Sport biomechanics", and
- the International Research Council on Biomechanics of Injury (IRCOBI) for the track "Impact/injury biomechanics".
ESB 2016 gathered 780 participants from 47 countries.
The 4 keynote speakers (Pr. G. Courtine, Pr. R. Pettigrew, Pr. C. Jacobs and Dr. P. Laugier) and the 18 perspectives talks addressed current challenges in biomechanics and related fields.
The attendees presented their work in 403 podiums and 210 posters. All the abstracts are available in open access: ESB 2016 Presentations
Some novelties were proposed in the organization of ESB 2016:
- Sessions were chaired by an expert and a junior in a mentoring way.
- Some perspective talks were jointly given by a clinician and an engineer to better highlight their common contributions to different research topics (cardiovascular, orthopaedics).
- Posters were presented in a flash presentation (1 slide, 2 minutes), in the same room as podium presentations on the same theme, to give them a wider audience. Then discussions took place in front of the posters during the following coffee break.
The social events were also an important part of ESB 2016 including the Welcome reception, the Student event, the Sponsors cocktail and the Gala dinner.
David MITTON, Chairman
Philippe VEZIN, Co-chairman
Stéphane AVRIL, Co-chairman