15 PhD candidate positions in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics – Marie Skłodowska-Curie – COFUND: Kuopio Finland (coordination), Lund SE, Chieti-Pescara IT, Zaragoza ES, Oulu FI, Helsinki FI, Tampere FI, Turku FI
Applications are invited for 15 PhD candidate positions under EU Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie COFUND Action – BioMEP doctoral programme – which offers unique inter/multidisciplinary research and training opportunities for young scientists in Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics across Europe.
This doctoral programme brings together complementary expertise of 8 leading European research groups in the field of Biomedical Engineering and Medical Physics and major private industrial companies and university hospitals. BioMEP aims to fulfill the demand for highly-qualified biomedical engineers and medical physicists addressing the needs of the academic, healthcare and industry sector, and thus to fully prepare them to meet the increasing demands of the European labor market. Together with the University of Eastern Finland (Finland), the following universities are participating in the project: Lund University (Sweden), University of Oulu (Finland), Aalto University (Finland), Tampere University of Technology (Finland), University of Turku (Finland), Gabriele d’Annunzio University of Chieti-Pescara (Italy) and Zaragoza University (Spain).
The BioMEP training and research activities are characterized by a multidisciplinary approach and allow candidates to submit proposals under the following five focus research areas:
o Musculoskeletal biomechanics
o Molecular, cell and tissue engineering
o Multimodal neuroimaging
o Biomedical devices and diagnostics
Successful candidates are appointed on a full-time basis for a total of 4 years while working towards a PhD in biomedical engineering and/or medical physics. All successful candidates will be offered a local employment contract, compatible with national and regional legislation and will include competitive salary to cover living plus mobility costs and social and healthcare benefits (according to each host university salary system).
Successful PhD candidates will have:
• access to a well-developed research infrastructure and international networks including academic-industry links to major health technology companies and hospitals;
• the opportunity to define and follow a Personal Career Development Plan and
• to access a variety of training activities and workshops in the field of biomedical engineering and medical physics;
• the opportunity for research visits within the BioMEP’s partners (up to three months);
• the opportunity to participate in joint research and be enrolled in dual or joint degrees;
Eligibility criteria, application and selection process:
We search for highly motivated candidates to work in an inspiring multidisciplinary field that combines engineering, medicine, biology and physics. We also strongly encourage applications from female candidates. The candidates should have a strong background in biomedical/biomechanical engineering, medical physics, biophysics or related educational field.
Candidates will be required to meet Marie Curie Early Stage Researcher eligibility criteria:
• at the time of recruitment, applicants may not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc) in the country of the host institution for more than 12 months in the 3 year period immediately prior to their recruitment under the project. Compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
• Applicants should be in the first 4 years of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctorate. This 4 year period is measured from the date of obtaining the degree which would formally entitle to embark on a doctorate.
How to apply:
Application shall be prepared jointly by the candidate and the prospective supervisor from one of the host institutions and should contain the following appendices saved as a pdf in the following order:
1. Application form, including two references;
2. Motivation letter (max. 1 page);
3. A detailed Curriculum Vitae http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/documents/curriculum-vitae;
4. Research proposal (max. 2 pages), including a section on research environment, ethical issues + supervision agreement;
5. Certified (translated) copy of Master’s (or higher) degree certificate and certified (translated) transcript of records of Master’s (or higher) degree studies;
Complete applications will be evaluated by an independent Advisory board based on three selection criteria. Applicants should therefore be outstanding in all three selection criteria: the
excellence of the applicant (academic excellence, previous mobility), quality of the research environment and the scientific quality of the research proposal. Based on the evaluation scores, the candidates will be ranked in a priority list and top candidates will then be invited for a Skype interview. Attention will be paid to the ability of candidates to present their research project, their motivation, communication skills and English fluency. All candidates will be advised of the outcome of the selection process after the selection.
The starting date for the PhD candidate is flexible. It is expected that the PhD candidates will start at their earliest convenience, within 3 months of formal acceptance. The exact starting date for each doctoral candidate will be negotiated on individual basis between the candidate and the host institution.
|Important dates Launch of the call for applications||03/10/2016|
|Deadline for the submissions||30/11/2016|
|Results of the evaluation||31/12/2016|
|Expected interview dates||01/2017|
|Expected start date||06/2017-09/2017|
More information on the application and evaluation procedure for the BioMEP doctoral positions is available on the BioMEP homepage: http://www.uef.fi/web/biomep/how-to-apply
The deadline for sending the application is November 30, 2016, at 16:00 CET.
For further information on the research and supervision, please contact the supervisors listed under the research areas: http://www.uef.fi/web/biomep/research-areas1
For further information on the application procedure, please contact: email@example.com