ESB Mobility Award for Early Career Researchers
The ESB Mobility Grant aims to provide ESB members with financial assistance to carry out collaborative research in a foreign country as part of their PhD or postdoctoral research.
IMPORTANT: There will be an extraordinary additional call for one ESB Mobility Award for early career researchers (PhD or 1 year post-doc).
- The application deadline is 30th November 2020.
- The winner will be announced by the 30th January 2021.
- The exchange period should take place within 18 months of receiving the award (from 1st February 2021 until 31h July 2022).
- The applicant has to be either a PhD student enrolled at a University or a research institute, or a postdoc maximum one year after receiving their PhD degree. Any time in maternity/paternity leave should be specified in the application and will not be accounted for in the time limit for eligibility.
- The applicant must be an ESB member in good standing for at least 6 months. Please check your membership and payment status before applying for this award.
- The scientist responsible at the foreign lab must be an ESB member in good standing for at least 6 months.
- The scientist responsible at the foreign lab can support only one application.
- The lab visit should be to another country than that where the applicant is enrolled for their PhD studies and/or postdoctoral research.
- The duration of the research visit should be between 2-6 months.
- The applicant and supervisor should not have any joint publications or involvement in current research projects with the scientist in charge during the last five years
- The award value is based on the estimated costs to a maximum of €4000.
- The award value is intended as a contribution towards travel costs, living expenses for the duration of the visit, and potential project related costs. The costs should be reasonable and justified.
- The award cannot be used for salary and does not cover expenses related to spouses or dependents.
- The award does not cover overhead costs.
- The applicants must submit an application to the chair of the ESB student and educational committee before the aforementioned deadline (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will receive a confirmation of receipt within one week. If you do not receive this confirmation, please remind the chair of the ESB student and educational committee to ensure the application is submitted correctly.
- The application must include:
- CV (max 2 pages).
- Publication list.
- Research plan, including motivation why the visit to the foreign lab would benefit the student and his/her research (max 3 pages).
- Support letter from supervisor also indicating the status of the applicant.
- Invitation letter from foreign laboratory, confirming that the host is an ESB member in good standing.
- Statement that the applicant has no funding or is applying for funding from other sources.
- Budget estimate indicating costs for: travel, accommodation, fees and other related, relevant expenses etc. You must also list any other funding/remuneration you are receiving from other sources.
Review and selection process
- The applications will be reviewed by the mobility-awards committee that will decide on grant allocations.
- The review will be based on the submitted research plan, academic merits of the student and the benefits with establishing a new collaboration.
- The ESB will announce the winners by email, in the website and in the newsletters
Final reporting and publications
- the winner is required to submit a short scientific report (3-5 pages) to the ESB committee three months after the lab-visit was completed, including 1) the results obtained, 2) skills learned, 3) discussion of how the results and new skills/knowledge will be applied in future research, and 4) a short financial report about the expenditures.
- The winner may be asked to prepare a short video for our ESB You Tube channel.
- The winner may be asked to write a short piece describing his/her experiences for the student’s corner in the newsletter.
- The winner is asked to acknowledge the ESB mobility award in any publications coming out of the work.
- The winner may be asked to show justification for the expenses made.
- The winner needs to refund the money if the exchange period does not take place.
For more details, please contact the ESB Education and Student Chair